Monday, August 20, 2007

A Prehistoric Saturday





I have to first admit I haven't been a fun mom lately. As most of you know, I'm the PTG president of my children's school this year. Well, I knew it was going to get crazy during the month of August, but I WAY underestimated the time commitment. For the last 2 weeks I've been attached to the computer and phone trying to get the parents ready for the upcoming school year. I've also been working on my "pet projects" which are setting up a PTG room at the school and organizing childcare for our PTG meetings. I am really hoping to pull these off. Now couple all this with the fact that the end of August is usually my most busiest time of year at work (we like to work extra hard to make up for the relaxing summer) and you can see where I'm going with this.
Anyway, my husband gently reminded me on Saturday that we were going to spend the day as a family - no phones, no computers. Ah, this man knows exactly what I need!

We decided to visit the local museum which was exhibiting a replica of a T-Rex discovered in South Dakota (it helped that Ally, Nicholas and Natalie earned free tickets from the local library for reading 15 books this summer!) Now tell me if any of you can relate to this conversation:

ME: Oh shout, I forgot my camera.

ALLY: It's okay mom, you can use your cell phone.

ME: But I don't know how

ALLY: Here, mom, I'll take care of it.

She then proceeded to take a couple pictures and then e-mail them to me so I could use them on my blog. So, who's more ancient, the dinosaur or me????



7 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

We used our tickets from the library too! It's a fun exhibit. Glad you reconnected. I totally related with the techno kids thing. jeff just now had to reconnect me to the internet when the computer zoned out. i'm paralyzed without him!

Starnes fam said...

I totally understand how you feel! We just got a new dvd player and I couldn't figure it out. Dallin (4 year old mind you) comes over and turns the thing on no problem! Agggh!

andrea said...

I'm so impressed with Ally. It sounds very familiar. Glad that you got to spend a fun day with the family. Hopefully all your preparation in August will pay off for an easy September.

Lucy said...

I don't know how to do the camera phone to my computer either. It really does embarrass me that young kids are smarter than me, technologically speaking. I give my parents a hard time, but basically, I am them with a better understanding of email.

I don't envy you your PTG stuff. There is a dire need for parents to get involved here. They have sent out several letters. I'm tempted to help, because I don't want it to die, but reluctant too because I don't want to be in charge of any fund raisers! You are way more noble than I.

Lara said...

Don't you just love how kids just inherently know how to use technical gadgets?!

We still have to make it to the museum too!!!

Good luck with PTG this year!!!!!!

[alisar] said...

How fun! I know how to take pictures with my cell phone, but I have no idea how to get them off the phone. Maybe Alli could do a little online tutorial for all of us dinosaurs.

KariAnn said...

Sounds familiar. We did exactly the same thing with free tickets from the library. I have no idea how to do the camera phone thing either. As a matter of fact, I can't even play a movie on our DVD player.