Monday, June 04, 2007

Nicholas' Special Day



On May 18th (Mt. St. Helen's Day), Nicholas turned 8. I know that I have some friends who read my blog who don't go to the same church as I do, so I'll first explain that in our church, 8 is the "age of accountability" and is the time when our children are baptized. The first Saturday of each month is when all the children who turned 8 the month before get baptized.

We used the 2 weeks between Nicholas' birthday and his baptism to turn his focus from his party and his presents to the more eternal principle of baptism. We had such "grown up" discussions during this time about Christ and what it means to follow in His footsteps. I should also mention how thankful I am for my husband's relationship with Christ and the time he took to spiritually prepare for the big day. While I make many mistakes as a mom, I feel one thing I did right was giving my children a righteous father.

The baptism went great. Although I've come to the conclusion there's a reason moms are not bishops - there's NO WAY we would be able to keep our kids off the stand every Sunday!!! I sat on the stand with the other members of the Stake Primary Presidency during the baptism, and by the end I had 2 of my 4 children up there with me.

Speaking of bishops, ours had a great message at the baptism. He placed his cell phone in Nicholas' shirt pocket and then called it once while it was on vibrate and once while it was set to ring. He explained this was like the Holy Ghost - sometimes we feel him and sometimes we hear him. I loved this object lesson.

After the baptism we headed straight to IHOP (Nicholas' choice - I would have picked brunch at Luna or even the Davenport!) But, funny face pancakes it was. We all had a great time and then headed home for some time in the pool (the 1-foot, blow-up that is!)

Below are some pics of Nicholas' party and his baptism:
Volcano cake from Nicholas' Mt. St. Helen's B-Day Party


My little man


Future missionary???

7 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

The cake is awesome! Even knowing you all this time, I'm still amazed at all your hidden talents! The baptism was so spiritual even with Adam's fun commentary. Love you guys!

Kristin said...

Congratulations Nicholas!! He is so handsome...great pictues! I'm glad the baptism went so well. I LOVE the volcano cake!!

[alisar] said...

Such a handsome little guy! A Zorich indeed!
I told you the other night what a special spirit I sense in him. He will certainly do great things.
Your cake is so cool. I'd love to hear how you made it.
I'm so glad the baptism went well - and his testimony on Sunday (along with your husband's) were so nice. We'll miss you guys.

Lara said...

Happy Birthday Nicholas! I can't believe he is really that old. What a handsome little man!

Rebecca said...

Nicolas looks so handsome! What a great object lesson on the spirit. I may use that in the future.

Devin ruptured his achilles tendon shortly before Asa was to be baptized so grandpa got to do it! Hopefully all will go well and Devin will get to baptize Hannah later this year!

andrea said...

Nicholas is WAY too cute for words. His baptism was so great and you handled your little Adam on the stand with so much composure.

Love the bishop's object lesson. We may need to use that in a future talk.

Lucy said...

What a handsome guy! Happy Birthday Nicholas! Your family is so beautiful.